Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bride in a Cage

I recently heard from Jenny that the long-standing landmark in Orem, the Bride in a Cage, has been destroyed. I was devastated. On State Street there was a raised street sign for a bridal shop. This sign was, literally, a bride in a cage. There was a glass enclosure with a mannequin of a bride in there dating, probably, back to the 1950s or so. At night, lit up, it was particularly disturbing. This landmark was so memorable that when Jen was dress-shopping, we couldn't help but go into this store (mostly as a dare). What we found was an amazing treasure trove of authentic 1980s bridesmaids' dresses. Wow! Who knew? I made Jen do some posing so that we could document our discovery. I recently found these photos:






When Jen called, she told me that there are now two headless bodies with wedding dresses on them on display in the cage. I wonder if word got out about the Bride in a Cage and the store decided that it was some pretty strong negative advertising and moved quickly (5o years too late!) to rectify the matter.

No comments: