Monday, May 5, 2008

13???

Okay, so I have an amusing story to share. About a year ago, my Dad decided that he really wanted those stick-figure stickers on the back of his car to represent his family. By family, he meant his children, children-in-laws, grandchildren, and dogs. Trust me, we spent many hours trying to convince him that only soccer moms had those on their cars - not grandparents, and certainly not grandfathers. Not only that, I personally tried to convince him that those soccer moms were just providing fodder for extreme mockery. All to no avail. My mom bought them for him for his birthday in August, and by September they were applied to the back window of the car. The problem? six children, five grandchildren, 2 sons-in-law, and 2 (now 1 - sad) dogs. There was much discussion over the logistics of getting all of those on the car and somehow trying to display the families within the families. The result?


What I like to call the "polygamy car." I mean, really? Probably my favorite moment was when I was in bed late one Saturday night (my window was at the front of the house) and heard a car pull up and stop at about 1am. Then I heard this girl's voice yell out, "Two, four, six eight...what the %*##$%? 13 %&*&# kids??? I just started cracking up as all of my arguments became fully justified. He's just so proud of it though! I wish they would just disappear. Anyone want to come by late one night and peel them off? I'll pay you...

4 comments:

Erin The Great said...

It's a shame that your 'muscle' ie. ME lives in Utah... there isn't much I wouldn't do for Dr. Pepper and Mint Oreos!

em said...

THAT is hilarious! Your dad looks SO proud, too!!!! :) It's cute that your dad wants to show off his family, and even though I think they are RIDICULOUS, it makes me smile to see "a dad" with a whole bunch of stickers on the windshield....:) I loved this post Jo, and I would be the SAME way!!! ha ha ha.,... now only if I lived in CA....I am always up for a little mischief, and would peel them off in the night for you! :)

J-E said...

You warned me about this one, but I had no idea how it would look. I agree with with "Em," it's cute seeing your dad with all of them. I read this one aloud, and we were both laughing our heads off, particularly about the late night visitors. Wow. I have to see it in person. I think the arrangement of the families was ingenious. Hehehe

Katydid said...

We wanted to secretly do this to our parents car while they were in China. Imagine the women and kids. Of course it was all for fun you know. We just laughed imagining how silly the car would look. Now I know, except it would have been even worse.