Monday, February 25, 2008

Sadness...


So, we found out on Saturday that our 13-year-old golden retriever, Emma, has pretty advanced cancer and probably has about 2 weeks to live. Although we knew she was getting older and not in good health, it still is a shock that we have so little time with her. These kinds of situations are always hard to explain to people who grew up in different pet situations. I grew up in a family with parents who both had indoor dogs growing up, and my Mom always said that if we got a dog, it would be part of the family because she can't stand seeing them outside dying for attention and love. Anyway, so Emma (and 7-year-old MacGregor) are definitely a part of the family. They both live inside and have totally distinct personalities. MacGregor sleeps in Chelsea's room and Emma sleeps on an ottoman at the foot of my parents' bed. Needless to say, it is a really sad situation and it's also really weird to figure out how to deal with it.


Along with our own worries, we really worry about MacGregor. When we got him as a puppy, Emma pretty much became his surrogate mother. Although she is pretty independent, he is totally attached to her. If he sees her leave the house without him he pretty much whines and cries until she comes back. In fact, Chelsea took Emma to her work (at an animal hospital) for some tests today. I didn't know she was taking her until MacGregor came sprinting into my room at 6:20am totally crying. He was up on my bed crying for about an hour while I was petting him and trying to get back to sleep. If I would stop petting him, he would throw his head back on me and start whining really loudly. He also gets all worked up and wears himself out, and then he's exhausted and depressed until she gets back. We're not really sure what is going to happen that time that she doesn't come back.

Anyway, the picture above is an older one of the two dogs at the top of the stairs looking down (a favorite spot). Emma is on the left while MacGregor is on the right trying to lean on her. She tolerates it for a few minutes until she gets annoyed and moves farther away from him.
I know most of you probably think that I'm totally overreacting to this situation, but I have to say that after 13 years together, it is going to be pretty difficult letting her go!

2 comments:

Zillah said...

oh, jomama, i'm so, so sorry. i understand, and i don't think that you're overreacting at all. how awful.

Sarah said...

Oh Jo.... I'm so sorry. That's such a hard thing. You are definitely not overreacting.