Thursday, October 11, 2007

Mommy Me


(sorry about the blurry photo)
So today I got to watch Roe (age 10 months) while her brothers and parents spend the day at Disneyland. Whenever I go anywhere with her, I just pretend I'm her mom when people start to talk to me because it's easier than explaining to strangers. Some observations:

People always start conversations by asking how old she is.
Having a child gives people a reason to make eye contact and smile at you (and to talk).
People love to help you (like the grocery store worker that gave me a cart in the parking lot so I didn't have to carry Roe and my purse inside the store all the way from the parking lot)



Some conversation snippets:


Stranger #1: Is she always this happy and smiling?
Me: No. You should have seen her at home right before we got here.


Stranger #2: How old is she?
Me: Ten months. How old is yours?
Stranger#2: 8 weeks. I have an 18-month old at home as well.
Me: Wow (raised eyebrows expressing my motherlike admiration).
Stranger #2: Yeah. Just wait.
Me: Yeah.


Stranger #3: What big eyes!
Me: Yeah.


As you see, motherhood has made me very verbose. Maybe tomorrow I'll make up some interesting andecdotes to tell people. Although generally an honest person, I'm getting a little thrill out of this small charade. Sheesh. I really need a job.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love your newfound verbosity. Love it.