Saturday, January 5, 2008

Incentivize

My new favorite word: incentivize

in·cen·ti·vize –verb (used with object), ‑vized, ‑viz·ing.
to give incentives to: The government should incentivize the private sector to create jobs.
[Origin: 1965–70, Americanism]

I heard it from the mouth of John McCain during the New Hampshire Debates and had to look it up - am I the only one who doubted that it was a real word? In true fashion, I had to look it up and dictionary.com came through. I am still hoping for that Oxford English Dictionary one day...sigh.

1 comment:

em said...

My sister doubted it, but my Mom knew that it was a real word! I was too busy making fun of all the candidates saying that Ron Paul looks like Tigger and how Fred Thompson looks and talks like Eeyore. Mean, I know, but it was hard to concentrate on what some of them were saying since "some of the them" wouldn't ANSWER the questions they were being asked!!