Saturday, November 17, 2007

My Birth at Williams-Sonoma

Well, I did it. I now am an official temporary employee at Williams-Sonoma. I figure that if I spend my time catering to those who are definitely wealthier-than-I, something might rub off on me (income-wise). I had my first day of training today. Now I am sitting here studying the catalog (which, by the way, is toture as a poor, very poor person). As it will be on my mind often, perhaps I will be posting products that I come across and covet (well, maybe not all of the ones I covet - not enough space). Here is a product that I don't covet, but brings to mind an amusing anecdote:

An employee was giving a tour of the store to us newbies, and she showed us these special edition Kitchenaid mixers in brushed nickel (shown) and satin copper. These little babies sell for about $900. One of the newbies (most of whom are foodies and cooks themselves) asked the question on all of our minds:

Newby: Is there something special about the nickel or copper that makes it a better mixer?

Employee: Not really. It's just for looks.

Newby: Then who in the world spends $900 on a mixer??

Employee: Actually you will be surprised that they will probably sell out for the holidays. And you know who buys them? Husbands who are trying to impress their wives.

If you want one of these babies for your own beautiful counter, you can find them here. Me, I'm just dreaming about all of those other items that may be purchasable after a couple of paychecks. Stupid bills.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Jo! How exciting! Especially working during the holidays you'll have all kinds of stories... :) What kind of discount do you get?